- Foreign Trade University currently applies a credit system for its undergraduate programs having been implemented since 2008, which is under the Regulation No 43/2007/QD-BGDDT issued by the Minister of Education and Training on 15 August 2007. The Department of Undergraduate Studies provides explanation about the education system at Foreign Trade University as follows:
- About Academic Programs and Degrees: As a normal schedule, a full-time undergraduate student at FTU is required to take a 4-year (8-semester) program in order to complete his/her study. Upon successful completion of all the required courses and a graduation thesis or internship report, he/she will be awarded a Bachelor Degree of his/her own major.
- About the Grading System: The final grade for each course is based on a 10-point scale and is rounded up or down to the nearest one decimal number and then converted into letter grade. The grade in letter will then be converted into a numeric grade in order to calculate his/her GPA.
|Descriptor||Grading system of 10||Grading systems in letters||Grading systems of 4|
|Excellent||8.5 – 10.0||A||4|
|Good||7.0 – 8.4||B||3|
|Satisfactory||5.5 – 6.9||C||2|
|Poor||4.0 – 5.4||D||1|
The student’s rank is based on his/her overall accumulated average of all the grades:
|GPA scale||Grade Description|
|3.60 – 4.00||Excellent|
|3.20 – 3.59||Very Good|
|2.50 – 3.19||Good|
|2.20 – 2.49||Average Good|
|2.00 – 2.19||Ordinary|
Students who receive their GPA below 2.0 will fail to graduate.
- About Academic Transcript: The following notes are for the clarification of the academic transcript issued by FTU:
- Credits: Courses are measured in credits. One credit is equal to 15 class hours of studying theories or 30 class hours of practicing. Each class hour lasts for 50 minutes. Students are required to spend at least 30 hours of self-study to prepare for one credit.
- GPA: GPA is calculated based on the average of the highest grades of all the courses taken by students.